This is the recipe according to Christine:
"here is the recipe for the pasta with avocado...this is the original recipe (with a few of my modifications) that is supposed to serve 4....i halved it and i think it would be fine for 2 people (i had leftovers). i like this recipe because it uses 3 different vegetables, and is easy. the cookbook authors said they called it "california" because "avocado pasta" would scare people away haha.
1/2 pound linguine (i just used penne because...that's all i ever buy)
3 cups sliced broccoli (tops cut into small florets, stalks sliced thinly)
2 Tb olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced (original recipe said 8...i thought that would be too much so i reduced)
1/4 tsp grated lime zest (i omitted this)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup veg broth
2 Tb lime juice or juice of one lime (definitely do not omit...i just buy the lime juice in a bottle)
1/2 tsp salt
several pinches of black pepper
4 cups loosely packed arugula leaves*
2 avocados, peeled and sliced into 1-inch chunks
1. Bring water for pasta (and broccoli) to a boil and start prepping other ingredients. Add pasta (you will add the broccoli to the pasta in the last minute of cooking).
2. Add oil to skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, lime zest, and red pepper flakes. Heat for 2 mins, don't burn garlic.
3. Add vegetable broth, lime juice, salt, and pepper to skillet. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to simmer and add arugula. By this point pasta should be almost done. Add the broccoli to the pasta and cook 1 minute, then drain all.
5. When arugula is wilted, add broccoli and pasta and mix all together, heating for a few mins. Then add avocado and turn off the heat. Gently toss to incorporate avocado, until it is heated through (if avocado gets too hot/stirred, it will mush...it should remain in chunks).
*i think it would be fine with spinach instead of arugula (or any other leafy green?). I actually had arugula on hand because I used it in another recipe. but i think it is kind of expensive."