Butternut squash adds flavor and moisture to this classic buttermilk cornbread.
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal or white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked mashed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
In a mixing bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, squash, and vegetable oil. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients; mix until well blended, adding more buttermilk if needed. Batter will be thick, but easy to stir by hand. Spread batter in the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until nicely browned.