Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hummus-Brussels Sprouts Bruschetta

I love bruschetta! Here is my original, more traditional recipe. Today, I made a different variaton based on ingredients we had on hand. The result was super yummy. I think anything can go on toasted french bread and it would be good.


I didn't measure out the ingredients, so I'm going to be vague about them. Just make it to taste.

Several slices of french bread (I did 16 from a skinny loaf...maybe 12-16 from a fatter loaf?)
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
1 can of garbanzo beans/chick peas
Handful of cilantro
2 cloves of garlic
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 a bunch of green onions, chopped
Black pepper
5-6 brussels sprouts, cooked and chopped
Parmesan cheese

Brush each side of the french bread slices with olive oil. Broil about one minute per side, watching to make sure they do not burn.

In food processor, mix drained garbanzo beans (reserve some of the liquid from the can), garlic, cilantro, and a splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Add enough of the can liquid to make a smooth paste. Basically, you've made hummus.

In a bowl, mix tomatoes, brussels sprouts, green onions, black pepper, and a splash each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Ideally, I think grilling the brussels sprouts would be delicious and bring out a great flavor. I just microwaved frozen sprouts. They were still good.

Spread the hummus on the bread (be generous!), followed by a heap of the tomato mixture. Grate parmesan cheese on top, and bake in a hot oven (about 425 degrees or so) for just 2 or 3 minutes, until hot.

Next up: bruschetta with some kind of incorporation of pesto! Yum!

No comments: