Thursday, July 23, 2009

Baked Nectarines with Granola

The last time I published something on this blog was on my birthday, eight months ago! Part of the reason is that Kimball keeps me busy, and I definitely try out new things much less frequently since he's been born. I think I also just didn't want to be bothered with taking and posting pictures of the food, so I won't worry about that too much anymore. Just imagine breathtakingly beautiful dishes, and that will suffice.

Last night I made only a so-so dinner (out of a box...gasp!), so to make up for it, I decided to make dessert, which I rarely do. I thought we had two peaches in the fridge, but they turned out to be nectarines. In the end, I don't think it mattered. This dessert can be made with nectarines, peaches, and probably even plums or apples. Just something that is somewhat firm to begin with. It's really fast and simple. Jordan and I loved the results!

Baked Nectarines (or whatever you've got on hand) with Granola

Fruit, cut in half and pitted (but not peeled)
Butter
Brown sugar
Water
A sweet type of granola
Whipped cream

Half your nectarines and scoop out the pits, leaving a little basin in the middle of each half. Place the fruit halves in a baking dish, skin side down. Add a dab of butter to each little basin in the fruit, and sprinkle a little brown sugar over the fruit. Fill the bottom of the baking dish with just a few tablespoons of water.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes (I suppose time will vary depending on the fruit you use. Just make sure the fruit is cooked and tender before you take it out.) Put a small amount of butter in a pan with the granola. Heat for just a few minutes, until the butter has melted and has coated the granola.

After you take out the fruit, sprinkle the granola over it. Top the hot fruit with some whipped cream, if you desire. Enjoy!

No comments: